Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Close Vote. Why Such a Small Turnout?

Firstly, my sincere congratulations to all the volunteers who ran for office and to the newly elected, unopposed or not. The community owes you a great deal.
I look forward to working with Jean and Josh on the BoS  and I am confident that the BoS will be off and running from our very first meeting.
If there is a recount, and after some thought, I personally hope that there isn't, it will occur ( tentatively) on Monday March 16th at 10am. Per our Town Moderator Jerry Hopkins, no one can be sworn in for the Selectmen's office until after the recount, so the traditional ceremony will not occur after Town Meeting.

With only 18.5% of registered voters turning out, it was the lightest turnout in many years. While there were a few first time voters, I did not see very many of our younger voters at the polls. With 5 candidates for 2 Selectmen seats, it should have generated a lot more interest.  In addition, only 59 absentee ballots were submitted. It appears that this apathy also extends to other towns as Meredith had jut 19% of registered voters turn out for a field of 8 candidates for 2 seats. Nothing is more important than your local government in my opinion. If you did not take the time to vote, you  surrendered the most  basic and fundamental right in a democratic society.
With only one vote separating Josh Bartlett and Chuck Connell, it is obvious that every vote does count.
In any event, the BoS will next meet in a business meeting on March 19th where we will elect a new chair and vice chair, make committee assignments as well as liaison's to the various town departments.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you blogger and great big thank you to all of the candidates for putting themselves out there for a great cause. I must disagree however, that with such close numbers, and if we are sincere about keeping this process true, a recount is not only appropriate, but required! I do share your dismay about turnout, and feel that his demonstrates that SB2 does not solve our apathy problem and voting numbers.

Please No Hanky Panky said...

Hmmm....where are the ballots and who in control of them? If there is a recount why wait until Monday? Too much time for mischief making.

1 of 698 that mattered said...

It was discouraging to see so many positions run uncontested. Let's make a extra effort to respect those that serve our town, so that more may be encouraged to run in the future.

Moultonboro Blogger said...

The ballots were transferred from the voting machine in special transfer boxes by the BoS, sorted and then sealed in another box under the seal of the BoS signed by the BoS. The ballots are under the care of the Town Clerk and are protected as per the RSA's. Its all done by the book.

Anonymous said...

There absolutely should be a recount! With a vote this close we should leave no question of the "will of the people".

Josh Bartlett said...

Per Barbara Wakefield, (at 2 PM on Wednesday, 11 March), there will be a recount held at the request of Chuck Connell at 10 AM on Monday.
I personally think it is a good idea. I have said all along that one of my principles is the promise of open and honest government. I was considering requesting it myself. None of us want any questions to remain.

Thanks, Chuck.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope there are no hanging chads!

Mt. Rattler said...

It's hard to trust Government in general, but let's have some faith in the good people that work for us. I don't think we need to be to worried about the counting of the ballots.. I don't think there are any slippery fingers up there.

Tom Foolery said...

I too feel it right to have a re-count and I thank the Blogger for the explanation of the security taken with the ballots. And having been a part of a recount or two myself I have faith in the system... but, Mt. Rattler, really? no slippery fingers up there? I remind you of the TA's tactics of the planning-board-gate dragging on for months with anon accusations only to be revealed that HE was the sole complainant... Team/Staff mts with no minutes, agendas, records etc. Numerous attempts to block RTK laws. What would you call slippery fingers?

Mt. Rattler said...

I was speaking for the clerk and others who handle our day to day business with good ethics. They are good people. I have stated my opinion on the other subjects tactics in past blogs.