"Real liberty is neither found in despotism or the extremes of democracy, but in moderate governments.
Alexander Hamilton

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hate Mail

This was posted on Mellisa Seaman's Facebook page. ( I blacked out her address). She is a reporter for the Carroll County Independent and regularly reports on the commissioner's and county delegation. How sad that someone felt the need to do this and do it anonymously. People it seems can't disagree anymore without wandering off into personal attacks.
I have gotten my share of hate mail. In fact , just got one today where I was called an ultra progressive, lying, fact twisting, venomous and duplicitous bastard and part of a sleeper cell in Moultonboro because I am a member of the Moultonborough Democrats. At least this particular hate message was not sent anonymously. There have been plenty of others that were anonymous over the years. Many posted right here on the blog. I have also received a few in the US mail 5 or 6 years ago, similar to the one below, only with different messages.
Ms. Seaman's has a right to be upset, but I hope it will not deter her from covering meetings and issues as honestly as she always does. I doubt it will. It doesn't deter me either.

My advice? It was told to me by someone shortly after this years Town Meeting: 

"Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer"





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you consider the almost 400 people that voted against Article 2 "haters". I thought you were against generalizations?

Moultonboro Blogger said...

Anon- Your comment makes zero sense. Totally irrelevant to the topic. And anonymous to boot.

Mellisa Seamans said...

People who are not mature enough or upstanding enough to put their name on something and own what they say are just cowardly creeps. THey should not be listened to or trusted.

Anonymous said...

Mellisa, some of us are understanding, mature and upstanding enough to speak anonymously in order to protect our families from those who would/have publically attack, merely because of disagreement. Even some like me who also disagree with Anno 8:55.