O'Brien once compared the Affordable Care Act with the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 during a Koch brothers funded Americans for Prosperity rally in September 2013. He also has been quoted as saying " gays are seeking to destroy society" and student voters are " foolish".Here are some of the "fiscally responsible" 2010-12 state budget cuts championed by the Republican House majority:
- Cut payments to all but Critical Access hospitals for uncompensated care by over $230 million forcing hospitals to raise fees,
- Cut off a major source of funds for hospital support of the Community Health Centers that provide a major share of medical care to those who lack health insurance,
- Reduced mental health service payments by over $55 million,
- Cut family support services for the disabled so that they can live at home by $3.5 million,
- Cut funding for brain injured by $33 million.
- Reduced $16 million from for Medicaid medical services
- Eliminated the Children in Need of Services program that diverts children from the courts into treatment, counseling, and rehabilitation.
The good news is that neither O'Brien or Stepanek are seeking re-election.