"Real liberty is neither found in despotism or the extremes of democracy, but in moderate governments.
Alexander Hamilton

Monday, November 7, 2016

Asking for your vote on November 8th.

I'm  Paul Punturieri and most of you ( I hope) that are local, are aware that I am running for one of two seats in the NH House to represent Moultonborough, Sandwich and Tuftonboro.
I'm not writing here about the top of the ticket. I'm writing here about myself, and the importance of putting reasonable, common sense  legislators in the NH House. My race is about us locally, right here in our district. I live and work here and I know first hand the problems and challenges we face. I also know how great a place this is to live.
I want to reiterate the following one very important position: I oppose any broad based sales or income tax.
I am a moderate politically, and partisan politics will  not play a role in my decisions if I am elected to this important office. Good ideas are good ideas and it doesn't matter who puts them forth. I will vote on legislation in a manner that is in the best interests of the three towns I was elected to represent, even if it is against my own party.
I have worked hard as a Selectman, rarely missing a meeting and always prepared to discuss what is on the table. Not everyone will agree with every decision I make, but I approach every issue  with an open mind and a reasonable, collaborative approach to problem solving.
New Hampshire has 400 members of the NH House, more than any state legislative body in the country. Roughly one legislator per 3,800 inhabitants. Its a good reminder that we are elected by the voters to represent them. That will always be my priority. Some in Concord are too distracted by focusing on ideological issues and not enough on what the needs of the citizens in our district really are. I am running to change that.
I've learned in office and in life, that to solve problems, you have to be able to work with other people. You have to be willing to reach out and get the facts and seek common ground.

Let me tell you on a very personal level, one reason why I support Medicaid expansion here in New Hampshire. My 27 year old daughter qualified for very affordable coverage with expanded Medicaid which allowed her to finally afford her life saving medications and care. Before that, we struggled to get her medications every month and ran out of the programs that help pay for these expensive drugs. So to my family, this is very personal. One of my opponents has vowed to discontinue expanded Medicaid, but he has no plan to replace it. I wonder how he would address my daughter and other  residents in our district in similar situations, one on one, when they ask him why he took away their health insurance? That he chose ideology over his constituents?
Fixing and improving it is my goal. We can do that if you elect people like myself that are willing to work for positive change. Moderate leadership, and cooler heads that are willing to seek compromise and actually work together in Concord have been able to move things forward and pass important  legislation that benefits all of New Hampshire.

Things need to change in Concord. We cannot afford two more years of roadblocks and petty feuds. Too much is at stake.

I respectfully ask for your vote on November 8th and please vote from the bottom of the ballot up.

Paul Punturieri

2 comments:

Interested Voter said...

Several years ago Jeanne Shaheen, when she was governor, proposed a capital gains tax for NH. I would like to know what your position is on (1) a capital gains tax, and (2) bringing back the estate tax, that was repealed a few years ago?

Moultonboro Blogger said...

Would not support either in NH