Saturday, February 18, 2017

Sample Ballots/Absentee Ballots, But Where Have the Voters Gone?

Ballot day is March 14th and the polls will be open from 7am to 7pm. If you can't get to the polls, you can get an absentee ballot from the Town Clerk.
I put the following together to see what the turnout has been the past 10 years. One trend is obvious: SB2 ( and the charter commission) on the ballot and the numbers go way up. Without either on the ballot, turnout was rather poor.
The average turnout in non-SB2/Charter years was 785.



I checked back  to 1990 ( a census year), and 1121 votes were cast on March 13, 1990. The 1990 Census showed we had 2,966 residents so about 38% voted. Compare that to 4032 in 2010 ( another census year) when just 20% voted. What happened?

This year there are only two contested races, BoS and School Board and one race, Planning Board, with only one candidate for two seats.

When I first ran for office here in 2012, I did it for a few reasons. Firstly, volunteers are what local government is all about and I wanted to do my part.  Secondly, its easy to be vocal and complain about the job the people in the front are doing, but its meaningless without also being willing to be one of those people in the front.
A message to those that complain the loudest about nearly every decision the BoS makes (and even some we didn't, and always think they have a better way to do things, or are more knowledgeable on just about any issue,  I don't see your name on the ballot for any office.
The three of us below running for two BoS seats have all spent a lot of time as volunteers on behalf of our town. I have worked on boards with both my opponents, and while we don't always agree on things, I do know that they genuinely care about Moultonboro as I do, and have worked very hard and diligently when in office to do the best job possible. I expect that they would say the same about me.
Thank you to all those running for offices this year, incumbents and new comers ( there are a few) and best of luck at the polls.

As always, this blog will post any candidate statements for any office.


"If you don't vote, you don't count." - Vernon Dahmer



 








































No comments: